Every year around this time I let my kiddos decide what they want to be for Halloween (we usually go to a Truck or Treat Event at our amazing church!). I have always loved the idea of dressing up. I’m a sucker for tulle and huge dresses and my 12-year-old daughter knows this. She also knows I love to DIY costumes…so of course this year, with her big blue eyes, she said she wanted to be the “new” Cinderella. I mean…who didn’t just go gaga over that incredible blue dress!!??? She knew I would be up for the challenge of whipping one of those babies up…so what if I’m currently 36 weeks pregnant!? It’s all part of the nesting phase, I think!
We ordered our tulle (lots and lots of tulle), got an underskirt sewn up, now we moved onto the Cinderella shoes. What would Cinderella’s Costume be like without some sparkly, glittery shoes? Since I didn’t feel like paying $35 for a pair of glitterized shoes, we headed to the local thrift store and picked up a cute pair of high heels for the occasion for $9! Perfect!
For this project we are basically going to do the same exact process as the Monogrammed Glitter Magnet that we made here. These shoes would be amazing for a wedding or New Year’s Eve too!
*** For those of you that think you are DIY deficient…literally my 12-year-old daughter did this project….so I know you can do it too…and you will LOVE the results!
DIY Cinderella High Heels
What you need:
1 pair of high heels
Silver Glitter or whatever color you want!
Mod podge (gloss finish is the best for glitter)
A box lid to glitterize your shoes in
What to do:
- Head to the local thrift store (or your own closet for that matter!) and find some high heels shaped like you want to glitterize! We opted for patent leather, which the mod podge adhered to nicely.
- Grab your box lid, your glitter, mod podge, paint brush and shoes. Hold your shoe from the inside and start painting a very light layer of mod podge in a small area.***TIP*** Don’t do a huge section because you don’t want your mod podge to dry before you get the glitter on that section!
3. Pour some glitter over your wet section of mod podge….make sure to pour over your box lid so that you can save that extra glitter! Don’t freak out if you miss a section, you can add some more mod podge and glitter when you do the next section.
5. Working all the way around the shoe, repeating the steps, saving the heel for last! The heel is the perfect handle for the rest of the shoe.6. Hold the shoe like shown ( your mod podge is going to still be wet for a while, so try not to smudge it, or else you will have to re-do that section again), and repeat the steps…mod + glitter in small sections.
7. Set shoe upright and allow to dry for at least 30 minutes or until the glitter is set.
8. After the mod podge and glitter is dry, its time to cover….and I do mean COVER your shoes in a thick coat of mod podge. It should be completely opaque and white. I know it seems counter productive to cover these glorious freshly glitterized heels with white thick glue, but this is going to save you from leaving glitter all over your house and car…and will protect your shoes from losing glitter everywhere! The gloss finish Mod Podge will keep your beautiful and glittery! Once it dries, you will see what I mean! Trust me! My daughter left these shoes on my couch the other day and I thought I would have a pool of silver glitter on my couch, but not even 1 little glitter was left there! 🙂 Mama was VERY happy!!!
9. Allow 1-2 hrs to dry! You are done! Enjoy your new fancy shoes!
These shoes turned out soooo cute!They would be darling for a little girl as well, especially if you have some shoes that still fit sitting around! Perfect for the holidays!
Hope you enjoyed this tutorial about how to make Glitter High Heels for your Cinderella Costume, Wedding or special occasion! I would love to see how yours turned out!