This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PrepTheNest #CollectiveBias
Hello Friends! In case you didn’t already know….The Eylander’s are expecting baby #3 November 15th, 2016! Its been a fun season of preparing for our soon coming baby boy and our whole family has been in on it! As a mom who has done this before and has 2 amazing helpers, 9 & 12, getting ready for baby (we’ve yet to settle on a name so far!) has been a family affair! We are so thankful for this blessing and are excited for all of the fun things that come with a new baby!
One of the fun things we are getting to do is set up another baby nursery! In true Kaylee fashion, I’ve been popping into thrift stores looking for items for our woodland/lumberjack theme for our baby boy nursery! I found this amazing sewing table for $12.49 at a local thrift shop that I just knew would be perfect for converting into a changing table. Of course, I decided to use my favorite chalk paint recipe to paint this soon to be changing table!
The amazing thing about chalk paint is that you don’t have to sand….anything! It makes furniture make-overs less of a chore and more instant gratification! That is what I love about it!
As part of our changing table station, I also knew that I would need a Playtex® Diaper Genie® Complete. With my other 2 kids, I also used a Diaper Genie and it saved my husband’s sensitive nose from being offended every time he went into the baby’s room! So I headed to Target and What I love about it is that it has a foot pedal! How simple! When you have your hands full of baby, diapers, wipes and everything else, just use the foot pedal to toss your stinky stuff into the Odor Lock System to lock away the smell! It also has a tilt out front panel that allows you to discard the diapers (up to 270!!!! what??? ) without messing with the top portion of the Diaper Genie.
After taking a stroll through the baby department at Target, I’m super excited to register for the rest of my baby supplies! They just have everything there! It will be a fun time for the whole family! Now onto the DIY Changing Table!
What you need:
A dresser to convert
Plaster of paris
Paint Color of choice ( I used some white paint that I had around the garage)
2 disposable containers (as you can see, I just used what I had!)
Diaper Pad & Cover
Diapers & Diaper Changing Supplies
Diaper Genie Complete
What to do:
- Wipe down all surfaces of your dresser with a damp cloth and remove all hardware.
- Because my dresser had been a sewing dresser/table, I needed to cover up the area where the sewing machine had once lived! Luckily there was a piece of press board in the bottom of this table and I just used a few screws to secure it.
- Mix up your chalk paint and paint 1-2 coats on your dresser. To mix your chalk paint: Add 4 TBSP of plaster to your container, add equal amount of water and mix till smooth. Add your slurry to 1 cup of paint, in your other container and stir till smooth. Its pretty easy! 🙂 Make sure that all the plaster is dissolved before pouring it into your paint. This keeps your paint nice and smooth! I’ve tried it without this step and it makes a huge difference!
- I used Rub N’ Buff in Silver Leaf to paint the hardware and change it from black to silver. This was soooo easy! I just used a rag to buff in a little tiny dab of paint and wiped it off to keep the weathered look.
5. After your paint dries, add all of the hardware back to your changing station! You are almost done! Add your changing pad and cover, all of your diaper supplies, your diaper genie and you are ready to go!
What ideas do you have to make your baby’s nursery easy? I would love to hear about them in the comments! It’s always nice to hear what other people are doing to stay sane with a new baby!